Bamyeh (pronounced bam-ee-ya) is the best (Okra) dish
This is one of my favorite meals, the pomegranate sauce with the okra is just wonderful. even if you are not an okra`s fan you are going to change your mind and love this dish .
Prep time 40 min cook time 25 min Level Medium
- 2 lbs bag of frozen Okra
- 1 lbs of stew meat
- 2 medium sliced onions
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- about 2 cups of chopped cilantro
- 1 can of small diced tomato
- 2 tbsp pomegranate sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp of 7 spices or all spices
- In a pot pour a litter of water add the meat, boil until it is tender .
- Move the meat out of the pot and reserve about 3 cups of the broth .
- In another pot put 2 tbsp of vegetable oil or shortening fry the meat add salt and pepper after a minutes add the garlic , onion and the chopped cilantro , saute for a 3 minutes then add the okra and saute for another 5 minutes .
- now add the can of tomatoes, pomegranate sauce , lemon juice and the beef broth , when okra is soft but not mushy then you know it is ready .
Note this is great with the basic Lebanese rice . You can substitute the pomegranate sauce with tomato paste and increase the lemon juice , because the pomegranate sauce is on the sour side .
Yield 4 serving